Tourism is an important resource for the national economy, and the statistics presented here illustrate our Country's capacity to attract and accommodate tourists in Italy that is characterised by a wealth, in terms of territorial variety and extension, of coastal and mountain areas, both in the Alps and the Apennines.
In 2016 in Italy there were 178,449 units of accommodation establishments with over 4.9 million bed-places, with an increase in comparison to 2015 equal to respectively 6.4% and 1.3%. Hotels and similar establishments, on the other hand, amounted to approximately 33,166 units, showing a slight decreasing trend compared to 2015 with over 2.2 million bed-places (also decreasing); the number of other accommodation establishments was equal to 145,283 units with 2.7 million bed-places (increasing by 2.5%).
Out of the entire range of tourist accommodation establishments operating in Italy, about 117 million arrivals and 402.9 million nights spent were recorded. The average length of stay in accommodation establishments was 3.45 nights, a figure unchanged compared to the previous year with decreasing values for residents in Italy (-0.05 nights) and increasing for residents abroad (+0.01 nights). This pattern is in line with the trend recorded since 2005 that showed a steadily decrease of the average length of stay (0.58 nights less).
In 2016 trips with at least one overnight stay made by Italian residents in Italy and abroad for business or holiday purposes reached 54,714,000 with total 270,810,000 nights. 90.6% of these were made for holiday and the remaining 9.4% for business. In terms of overnight stays, 95.6% of the nights spent in accommodation establishments were for holidays and 4.4% for business trips. The average length of stay in Italy was 5.2 and 2.3 nights for holiday and business trips, respectively.