Tourism is an important resource for the national economy, and the statistics presented illustrate our Country's capacity to attract and accommodate tourists in Italy that is characterised by a wealth, in terms of territorial variety and extension, of coastal and mountain areas, both in the Alps and the Apennines.
In 2015 in Italy there were 167,718 units of accommodation establishments with over 4.8 million bed-places, with an increase in comparison to the previous year equal to respectively 5.9 and 0.6 percent. Hotels and similar establishments, on the other hand, amounted to approximately 33,199 units, showing a slight decreasing trend compared to 2014 (-0.3 percent) with 2.2 million bed-places (increasing by 0.4 percent); the number of other accommodation establishments was equal to 134,519 units (+7.5 percent compared to 2014) with 2.6 million bed-places (increasing by 0.8 percent).
Out of the entire range of tourist accommodation establishments operating in Italy, almost 113.4 million arrivals (7 million more than in 2014, an increase of 6.4 percent) and nearly 393 million nights spent (15 million more than in 2014, an increase of 4.0 percent) were recorded. The average length of stay in accommodation establishments was 3.46 nights, a lower figure compared to the previous year (-0.09 nights) with decreasing values both for residents in Italy (-0.05 nights) and residents abroad (-0.12 nights). This reduction is in line with the trend recorded since 2005 that showed a steadily decrease of the average length of stay (0.56 nights).
In 2015 trips with at least one overnight stay made by Italian residents in Italy and abroad for business or holiday purposes reached 47,093,000 (-6.1 percent compared to 2014), with total 244,002,000 nights. 88.6 percent of these were made for holiday and the remaining 11.4 percent for business. In terms of overnight stays, 94.2 percent of the nights spent in accommodation establishments were for holidays and 5.8 percent for business trips. The average length of stay in Italy was 5.5 nights and 2.7 nights for holiday and business trips, respectively.